Refractive Errors

Refractive errors are a common eye condition that can cause chronic blurry vision. The good news is that our “optometrist near me” can guide you through the differences between the different types of refractive errors, including myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia, and how to get treatment for them. If you live in Elizabeth City, NC, and have noticed you can't see as crisply as you once did, visit us at Visionary Eye Care to find out what's happening with your vision from an optometrist near you.

Refractive Errors


Myopia, commonly known as nearsightedness, makes it difficult to see objects in the distance. If you find yourself squinting to read the fine print on a faraway sign or struggling to spot a friend across the room, you might have nearsightedness.


Hyperopia, or farsightedness, is the opposite of myopia. You can see objects in the distance well but objects up close look blurry.


Astigmatism is like myopia and hyperopia except it affects both your near and far vision. Blurry vision, eye strain, and headaches can be common companions when you have astigmatism.


Presbyopia is a common age-related vision condition that affects the eye's ability to focus on near objects. It typically becomes noticeable around the age of 40 and gradually worsens with age. Presbyopia is a natural part of the aging process and occurs as the eye's lens loses flexibility, making it more challenging to focus on close-up tasks. Suddenly, those fine prints and close-up tasks become a bit challenging. If you find yourself holding the newspaper at arm's length, presbyopia might be at play.

Get Myopia, Hyperopia, Astigmatism, and Presbyopia Treatment

We at Visionary Eye Care in Elizabeth City, NC, have an “optometrist near me” who can conduct thorough eye exams, prescribe corrective lenses, and offer advice on keeping your near vision in shape. From eye exams to personalized solutions, we're committed to helping you achieve your vision goals. Call us at (252) 512-5004 for more information from an optometrist near you.